Tips on Buying Carter Farm Meat
- Tuesday, 23 December 2014 18:47
Our USDA Certified Processor is H&P Meats located in South Pittsburg, TN – 423-837-4888. When buying a whole steer, you will speak with the processor about how you would like your steer cut. You will be purchasing the carcass weight of a steer which is approximately 600 lbs. Your take-home weight will be determined by the types of cuts you choose. Boneless cuts may reduce your take-home weight up to 20%.
Be prepared to answer the following questions.
- What Meat Do you want?
- New York Strips and Tenderloin Steaks 0R T-Bones
- Size of Steaks (3/4 inch recommended)
- Roasts and Size – Chuck, Sirloin, Rump 2 or 4 lbs roast
- Size of Burger Packs (1lbs, 2lbsk, 5lbs or 10lbs)
- Number of Packs of Boneless Stew
- What to do with Round Steak/Cube Steak, Hamburger or Stew (this cut has little fat and will need to be tenderized or slow-cooked)
- Briskets (roughly two, 5-6 lb) – Great for Smoking
- Soup Bones
- Flank Steak